The Grey House School was founded by the late Miss Cracknell. A small group of children were taught in a room above The White Hart public house in Hook until Miss Cracknell moved the school to The Grey House in Hartley Wintney in 1949.
The school quickly gained a reputation for academic excellence and continued to grow.
In the 1970's, there were enough children for seven classes, one for each year group and additional buildings were put on the site.
Mrs Purse was appointed as Headmistress in 1975 and remained at the school in this post until 2004.
The school is now run by Miss Cracknell's grandchildren, in partnership with their father.
Mrs Allen, the current Headmistress has been at the school since 1994, and has been Headmistress since 2004.